Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Word-Count Wednesday #2

I am truly enjoying both my Creative Writing class and my American Lit class.  I know Bradford mentioned that this is a new endeavor for him, but I appreciate the way he's structured the class with these "Experiments."  This process is allowing us students to move out of our comfort zone and try something new.  I wouldn't have necessarily ever tried to write a song or a poem, or "what can you come up with when you mix A and B," as in the Magical Realism/Something Ordinary + Something Magical.  Having these assignments lets us stretch our legs as writers so to speak.

For my American Lit class, I appreciate the fact that Professor Kenedy takes the time to really focus on the writer we are studying for that particular class.  Some classes I've had tried to accomplish too many things in one class without really spending the time to closely read and digest the material.  

What a great way to finish my last semester at Moorpark!

What am I working on?
Experiment #5.  In class I was given "Subway Restaurant" and "Glasses that hypnotize others".  After looking at these two ideas, I immediately came up with an idea that the Subway employees use the glasses to hypnotize the customers while they are moving down the line placing their order.  They make the customers do crazy things while in the store.  

How do I feel about the process?

The process is a bit of a roller coaster.  Sometimes I'm fired up with ideas and other times I'm like "I have no clue!  What the heck am I doing!"  Which I'm learning is pretty normal.  Having never really written anything creative before this class, it was a bit embarrassing at first to have my creations read, but on the other hand, its kind of cool.  I'm learning from speaking to other students as well as reading their blogs, we all pretty much feel the same way so I'm in good company. 

Another observation I've made is learning the difference between writing screenplays and prose.  A few years back I attended a fabulous Screen Writing Class at the UCLA extension.  I learned about world building, breaking the story in to 3 acts and using as few words as possible to get your point across because you are writing for a visual medium.  Prose on the other hand, you need a lot more words to get your point across.  It's fun to try all the different ways in which to write.

What am I reading now?
Stephen King "On Writing"

Robert Frost - Various Poems
  My favorites are:
      -"Mending Wall"
      - "Home Burial"
      - "The Road Not Taken"
      - "Birches"
      - Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
      - "Design"

T. S. Eliot "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" & "The Waste Land"

The Magic Tree House: Pirates Past Noon with my son

1 comment:

  1. T.S. Eliot and Frost are both good masters from which to learn.

    I am glad you are enjoying the connections and interactions with other student writers. For a long time, I thought writing was a solitary process, but my career did not advance until I learned the importance of a writer's community.

    Your Subway / hypnosis story sounds fun!

    Happy writng!

    ReplyDelete