Thursday, February 23, 2017

Word Count Wednesday

What am I working on:

I'm working on my narrative story to share with my house, Wade and the group for Monday.  I'm not sure if it will be a short story or a novella. The last two weeks and has been challenging, everyone in my house (including myself) are finally healthy again (knock on wood).  I'm finally starting to get back into my groove and am starting to write again.  

I've been rethinking my story a bit.  

The gist of my story is, I'm fascinated by the thought of existence.  

Those created naturally and those created with the aid of technology. 

The question I'm asking is, would those people who were created using technology have existed eventually, or not at all? And are they different from natural born people because of the means to create them?

My main character Gabriel was created using technology.  He's always known/felt that he was 'different'. 

The prologue will be: 
His mother, pregnant with his younger sister, dies in childbirth from complications from the method or serum used to help her achieve pregnancy; Gabriel was a toddler at the time. After natural attempts to get pregnant failed, they learn about this lab that helps couples in that situation and his father pressures his mother to go through the process. His mother was reluctant, but goes through it anyway.  

I'm thinking in Chapter 1, Gabe is already working at the lab and the following has already happened  

  • He doesn't find out until he's in college that he was created using a method no longer used because it was flawed, a secret that his father had kept from him.  


  • Gabe is determined to figure out what happened and why.  Why was this method no longer used?  What are/were the consequences? 


  • He purposely ends up working at the lab, which was supposed to have stopped these methods, but secretly hadn't. He finds this out somehow. 

I'm struggling with he middle of the story.  So what?  What happens?  I know a conflict will occur between Gabriel and his father, he will blame him for his mother's and sister's deaths.  

I'm toying with an idea that at the end of the story, Gabriel finds a video message, a letter, or something (that his father wasn't aware of) that helps him resolve these feelings, but I'm not sure if that is a dumb idea or not.  

Word Count: Not much, just starting to get back at it now. 

What am I reading:
Harlem Renaissance poets Langston Hughes & Countee Cullen 
John Steinbeck "The Chrysanthemums" 
Stephen King One Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment