Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Opening Post

My Creative Writing professor assigned us to create a blog for our class.  I've never done this before so here goes.

I'm taking this particular class for two reasons.  1. I'm very interested in the art of creative writing, storytelling, story structure and the craft of writing. 2. It satisfies an English class requirement for my degree.  Although I've never truly ever written anything other than perhaps a journal entry here or there or essays for a class, my hope is to change that, beginning with this class.  I've often wanted to make the time to write.  Anything really.  To keep a personal journal, outline and begin story ideas or complete the screenplay for one of my favorite books.  I'm hoping this class will spark all of the aforementioned.

I guess I should add a little more about me.  I began working full time at the age of 18 and college was not an option for me at that time.  I worked for 20 years steadily and when I did switch positions, it was always to a higher rank or status.  I gained loads of experience and even traveled a bit with one of my jobs.

In 2007, I read a historical fiction book that I fell in love with that took place in Ireland.  That same year my husband and I traveled to Ireland and explored some of the places mentioned in the book.

I was laid off during the economic downturn of 2008 so the opportunity presented itself for me to attend college, so I began working towards my AA at Moorpark College in the summer of 2008.  Shortly after my Fall semester of 2008 began, my husband and I received the happy news that I was pregnant with our first and only child.  Our baby was due June of 2009 so I was able to finish my Fall and Spring semesters before delivering our son.  I enjoyed and relished in being able to stay home with him for the first 3 years of his life.  I also kept my 'adult interests' peaked by studying Italian and attending a class on how to write a screenplay.  The book that I had read in 2007 sparked my interested on "how do you convert a book to a screenplay".  That book sparked my interested in the craft of writing and storytelling, both from a book perspective as well as from a visual film perspective.  I also was reading loads of books to get the 'rhythm' of how stories were told.

In the Fall of 2012 I returned back to Moorpark College to resume my studies and by taking one or two classes a semester, I am here, in my final semester fixing to graduate in May 2017.

I'm very excited about this class and am looking forward to the journey that lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment